Thursday, April 29, 2010

We are home


We made it home to Jersey.  It is good to be home, but both Mary and I are missing Vienna.  Our trip was too short!  We woke up yesterday (Wednesday) early.  I had to finish packing and I wanted to pick up some things before we went to the airport.  Mary and I went down to breakfast and then headed to the city center.  We bought some laugens for the trip home and had one last look at Stephansdom.  It was such a beautiful day.  It would have been nice to take our time and stroll through city, but we had to hurry.  I also let Mary have one last popsicle while we walked.  The one she gets is so tasty and since we don't have them in the US, I thought she should have one.  We walked to this candy store and picked up some candy for Mary's friends--and of course for her.  No wonder Mary loves Vienna--I let her have sweets all the time!  Ah well vacation doesn't count!

When we got to the hotel our taxi was pulling up.  I hurried up to the room, got our luggage, and checked out.  We were actually super early to the airport.  The British Airways counter wasn't even open yet--oh man we could have spent like another half hour in Vienna--strolling or whatever.  Oh well, better to be early than late.  While we were waiting for our plane, Mary's Leapster died.  I was worried.  Our flight from London to Newark was almost eight hours long!  I NEEDED it for her to be entertained for at least a lot of the time.  Yikes.

We boarded our plane to Vienna and slept about half the flight.  In London Mary and I were on a mission to find batteries.  Not only was able to get her batteries but a new Color Wonder coloring book.  We left her other one at the heurigen.  We also got some mango juice that was carbonated--last one for a while.  By the time we got a snack and to the gate (oh because we ate all five laugens I bought before we even left Vienna--just like I said we would), it was time to board our plane.  Mary was seriously an angel for the flight.  We were able to pick our movies and watch what we wanted whenever we wanted.  I watched "The Blindside," which was so good and Mary watched "The Princess and the Frog" three times.  We also colored and she played with her Leapster.  We both finally fell asleep for the last two hours of the flight.

We made it through customs.  Then of course one suitcase came out first and our other backpack came out last.  Then we had to wait for the stroller in the oversized baggage section.  It took forever!  Finally Skyler found us!  Yay--it was so good to see him.  Mary was very happy to see her uncle!  I was so exhausted, and crashed as soon as my head hit the pillow.  Unfortunately Mary woke up around five am!  I guess she thought she was still in Vienna.  I made her stay in bed until Skyler got up around six am.  She had breakfast with him and he turned on the tv for her before he left for work, so I was able to sleep until nine am.  It was nice.

Vienna was so much fun--it was fabulous!  My first time taking Mary abroad was wonderful.  It was hard and a little lonely sometimes, but it was so worth it.  I had a lot of fun taking Mary to my favorite city and I think she had a lot of fun too.  I realized that I went to Vienna in 2004, 2007, and now 2010.  Looks like we will have to go back in 2013--but for longer next time!  I can't wait for us to see the rest of the world together!

No comments: