Friday, April 9, 2010

Easter!











Easter Eve we did the usual dying eggs. Uncle Skyler, Grandma Kathy, and Grandpa Joe were here to join in the fun! Woohoo! I think all of our eggs ended up cracked from being dropped in the dye. (Side note: I just read in a magazine to put the eggs in the middle of one of those wire whisks so the eggs don't drop and crack. Doh--wish I read that before). So does anyone actually eat all of their hard boiled eggs? I feel so guilty boiling eggs to dye only to throw them away after a couple days of no one showing any interest in eating them. I wonder if Mary would like an egg salad sandwich? Hmmm... I loved them as a child--key words as a child. I will have to whip some up for her. After dying the eggs I sent Mary to bed so the Easter bunny would come visit.

Easter morning, Mary woke up and said to her grandma Kathy, "I wonder if that rabbit is still here." She went downstairs and was super excited to see all the goodies in her Easter basket. I totally didn't charge the battery in my camera so this is the only picture I got before my camera died completely.



Then with a little help she found all the eggs. Right away she wanted to watch one of her new movies, "Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs." That was good because we had to get going to make it to church. But of course we were late anyway--my fault.

After church we visited with Amy for a bit and then headed to Stacey and Cory's for an excellent Easter dinner. As soon as dinner was over Mary and I packed up and drove to Baltimore with my mom and Joe. We dropped Joe off at the Hope Lodge where they are staying while Joe undergoes radiation, then we drove down to DC to spend the night.

Monday we woke up and walked to the White House for the 2010 White House Easter Egg Roll! A big thank you to TAPS for the tickets. I wore my TAPS shirt and Mary wore her daddy shirt. We had to wait in the longest line. We had to be there an hour before our appointed time, which was 11:45am. We went through security and then waited for over an hour. It was so stinking hot! Better than rain so I won't complain. Luckily they provided water, juice, and granola bars. Finally we started moving towards the White House. I had told Mary that Yo Gabba Gabba was going to be there so then she kept asking where he is. Unfortunately he started performing before we made it into the south lawn. We saw him and his "friends" leaving the stage. Oh I think he is so creepy! Mary said, "he's not creepy mom, he's a nice guy!" There were a ton of characters from Nickelodeon and PBS, like Dora, Super Why, Sid the Science Kid, Curious George, and even Clifford the Big Red Dog. I think Mary would have been content to wait in line all afternoon just to see her favorite characters. You get two hours on the lawn and there are a ton of things to do, so you have to decide what you want to do first because there is a line for everything. Right off the bat she had to have her picture taken with a penguin from Madagascar. Then we went to the Easter Egg Roll. I was determined that we should do this since it is the tradition. As we were waiting in line for the roll, we saw Michelle Obama and the girls. Even though I am not a fan, she looked great and it was exciting to see them.












On with the roll. We made it to the starting line. I videotaped the whole thing it was so hilarious. Mary was having a hard time getting the egg even in the direction of the finish line. All the other kids finished and Mary was still going. Even though she was the last one to finish, she told me she won. She is so cute!

After the roll I let her wait in the line to meet Dora. Dora was huge--and she is supposed to be a little girl. The whole character thing is so bizarre when they are supposed to be humans, yet not. Mary of course wanted to get her face painted, so we waited in that line. Next she decorated her own crown with health food option stickers. Although we did see a few cake and french fry stickers in with all the fruits and vegetables. Whoever is in charge of the stickers will probably be fired--oh wait it was all volunteer.





By the end of the crown decorating I think Mary and I were done. We were hot, tired, hungry, thirsty, and sunburned--oh wait I was the only one who was sunburned. Big surprise there. Mary planted some pumpkin seeds and then we left and waited in yet another line to receive our souvenir wooden egg signed by the Obamas. And it is hot pink--how cool is that?

It was such a great experience. It was really awesome to be part of the Easter tradition at the White House--and being at the White House on the lawn. To see the First Lady and the girls was pretty cool too. I am really thankful that we were able to do it. AND Mary had a blast, although she did ask, "Why the White House didn't have any rides?" I guess she thinks at the end of every line there should be a ride. I wonder why she would think that? Haha. She was so good all day! We walked all the way to the White House with a quick stop at Starbucks. Then she walked all the way back to the hotel. She was cracking me up when she walked on the metro vents and it blew air up her skirt. Then she just sat down at the bus stop and said she was too tired to walk any more and would wait for the next bus. I had to carry her for a bit after that.





As soon as we got in the car, Mary fell asleep. We drove back to Baltimore and picked up Joe for dinner at our favorite little Irish pub, The James Joyce. What do ya know? Our server, Petra is from Ireland. She was so kind. She asked Mary if that was her daddy on her shirt. Mary said yes and told her his name. Then she asked where he is. Mary said, "he's in heaven." At this point most people stop and don't know what to say or look to me to see if she knows what she is saying. Petra just said something like, you can talk to him whenever you like and say prayers to him and he will hear you and be with you all the time. You are never alone. It was so sweet. They were best friends after that and Mary opened up to her about her whole entire life. Petra let Mary help her serve our drinks. I was a little embarrassed when Mary upon returning from the restroom with grandma Kathy announced to the restaurant, "Mommy, I have just a little bit of diarrhea!" Oh man did she really just shout that? When do kids stop blurting things out? It's amusing and horrifying at the same time. After dinner Mary and I drove home to New Jersey. It was such a great day!

No comments: