Monday, October 6, 2008

NYC



On Friday Stacey and I braved the city with little miss Mary. I must say she was a gem!!! I don't know why but I always have a bit of anxiety at the thought of taking Mary into the city. I guess I just think of her trapped in her stroller all day and her having a tantrum because she doesn't want to be in her stroller any longer. Besides the fact that I think New York is not one bit stroller friendly! How do these New Yorkers do it all the time? Maybe some day I will just stock some poor New York mom all day. I have learned bits and pieces of how they do things by watching, but it is still not enough.


First stop: Serendipity for some very delectable desserts. Wow that place must go through a lot of whip cream. So for lunch Mary had a bowl of strawberries and whip cream--yummy! Plus she shared Stacey's frozen hot chocolate, my apricot smush, and this lemon, peach, berry sunday we ordered--all with loads and loads of whip cream.

Next we walked to the Central Park Zoo. In the center of the zoo are the sea lions. We watched them for a bit and then we moved onto the rain forest rooms. Mary is still afraid of the monkeys and she clung to me throughout the rooms. She also clung to me when we saw the turtles, the polar bears, and even the penguins. So we decided to go sit and watch the sea lions for a bit and see if Mary would maybe want to run around for a bit. We did good because it happened to be feeding time--yay! As you can see from the picture that Mary thought the sea lions had some pretty cool tricks. After that she felt brave enough to go back and look at the monkeys. The big ones were gone, but she watched the little tamarins run around for a bit. Then we walked to the children's zoo, which is pretty cute. We saw peacocks and sheep. Mary was very excited about the cow--I think because making the moo sounds is one of her favorite animal noises, but when she does it, it sounds like a mad cow. We also saw goats and pigs.


After we finished at the zoo we walked further into Central Park to see the statue of the statue of the famous Balto. Ever since we got Max I have wanted to see it. Back when Max and Tiger were our only children, Chris and I talked of taking Max to Central Park to see Balto, but quickly decided not only would it be a nightmare with Max in the city, but it was completely ridiculous. Also when I was pregnant, Chris read me the story of Balto and the Siberian huskies that saved the town of Nome in 1929 from the Diphtheria epidemic. So here we are with Balto.



After finishing up at Central Park we headed downtown (in which Mary napped and dropped a bag of goldfish somewhere between Rector Street and Century 21) for some bit of shopping. For those of you who know about how much I love the store MANGO, I am pleased to announce I visited the one in Soho and I was in heaven. After a fabulous day we had a fabulous dinner Gonzales Y Gonzales. I love their guava margaritas--mmm...yummy. When we got to Penn station, our train was boarding, we made and it, and were ecstatic to find out that it was an express train. Perfect ending to a perfect day!






No comments: